Best Undercounter Refrigerator with Ice Maker
An undercounter refrigerator is a new advanced refrigeration method designed to create more space in your kitchen. This type of refrigeration is perfect if:
*You have a small kitchen that cannot accommodate the traditional refrigerators;
*You already have the regular refrigerator but you require more cold storage for your groceries, drinks, and so on.
Undercounter refrigerators are genius ways to keep your kitchen looking spacious while creating more storage room. However, choosing the right undercounter refrigerator for your kitchen requires a perfect mix of quality, value, functionality, and design.
Because of the massive inflation of undercounter refrigerators in the market, it can be challenging to choose just the right fit and quality for your home. We decided to help you narrow down the list to the top 10 best undercounter refrigerators in the market.
But first, go through our buying guide to make a well-educated purchase.
Undercounter Refrigerator Buying Guide
The size of the undercover refrigerator you pick should fit nicely into your kitchen space without creating any congestion or inconveniences. Therefore make sure that you measure the width, height, and length of the area that you’d like to set up your extra refrigerator.
Capacity and Storage flexibility
Check the internal capacity of the refrigerator models against your requirements. Make sure that its storage capacity will fully satisfy your current and future storage needs. It should also have flexible storage options in that it can accommodate any configuration of food and beverages. Models with convertible shelving usually offer the best storage flexibility.
Design and finish
Undercounter models come in a variety of finish and designs including glass and stainless steel. Choose an undercounter refrigerator with a design and finish that blends seamlessly with your current style. However, if you want a complete built-in look, purchase a custom panel-ready model.
The Type of Undercounter Refrigerator
There are several types of undercounter refrigerators available in the market. These include:
- Freestanding Undercounter refrigerator – Most freestanding undercounter refrigerators are the ones with compressor intakes on their left or right side. They cannot be integrated into the cabinetry because their air circulation system will be compromised.
- Built-in undercounter refrigerator – Built-inn undercounter refrigerators have front-venting, which allows their seamless addition into your cabinetry.
- Beverage centers – These undercounter refrigerators are designed to hold beverages only including wine or beer/soda. Their drawers are designed to create a maximum carrying capacity for drinks.
- Under-counter refrigerator drawers – These are undercounter units that are fitted with several drawers for more storage flexibility. They allow you to store different items in separate drawers. For example, you can chill your beer in one drawer while you store food in the other drawer(s). Others come with an ice maker in one drawer and storage units in the additional drawers.
Top 10 Undercounter Refrigerators in 2019
1. hOmeLabs Beverage Refrigerator and Cooler – B0786TJC33
This undercounter mini-fridge features a large storage capacity of up to 120 standard-sized beer cans and an elegant design that blends easily with most kitchen décors and designs.
It has a stylish and robust glass door with a stainless steel frame. This door’s construction is strong, durable, and it allows you to spot your beverages easily. The rest of the exterior construction is sturdy with a sleek black finish.
This undercounter fridge features three removable and adjustable chrome shelves, which creates storage convenience. You can remove or readjust the racks to store larger wine or water bottles. A blue LED light bulb is integrated on the interior of this fridge to enhance the visibility of your beverages, especially at night.
It has a noiseless fan for continuous air circulation in the fridge. This ensures a uniform temperature is maintained throughout the refrigerator, and all your beverage stays cool.
Keep your drinks at your own desired temperature using the advanced temperature control system (Thermostat). It has a large digital display which allows you to set the temperature to as low as 34°F. Its memory function keeps and restores the preset temperature settings when disconnected from the power, which makes it convenient.
Size: External measurements – 18.87” (L – front across) x 33.25” (H) x 17.30” (W-front to back); internal measurements – 16” (L) x 29” (H) x 12” (W-depth.
- Elegant style, especially the glassed doors
- Has a fast cooling system
- Has internal lighting
- Low-noise fan
- The door can be configured to swing from left or right
- Has no auto light feature
2. EdgeStar CBR1501SLD 5.49 Cu. Ft 142 Can Built-in Stainless Steel Beverage Cooler – B00OM1NFIM
The unique design of the EdgeStar undercoat refrigerator makes it easy to integrate into your kitchen cabinetry or place under your counter. This is because of its front venting system and cool finish.
It has a capacity of up to 142 standard-sized soda cans, which makes it great when you have lots of beverage to store. The unit measures 24.8 x 23.5 x 33.5 inches, which is perfect for most average-sized undercounter kitchen spaces.
EdgeStar undercounter refrigerator is fitted with a fan for uniform air circulation within the fridge. This keeps all your drinks cold at an even temperature and does not form a cold spot.
This fridge features a digital temperature control system that lets you change and monitor the unit’s temperature between 38°F to 50°F to meet your optimal levels. Its stainless steel door creates perfect insulation to ensure that your beverages stay at the set temperature.
It’s fitted with an auto light feature which turns on when you open the fridge door to illuminate the beverages for you. This increases visibility, especially at night time.
The sleek stainless steel door is reversible in that you can switch the swing of the door to fit your cabinetry style or to your preferred style. The door has an integrated lock which keeps the fridge locked from unauthorized persons.
- It’s fitted with an auto defrost system
- Flexible stainless steel door
- It has a sleek finish that blends seamlessly
- Energy efficient
- Produces a low humming sound when running
3. Kalamera 15” Wine Cooler – B01HXP4B6S
The Kalamera undercounter refrigerator features a versatile construction that can be installed into your cabinetry or placed under your counter. It has a sleek, luxurious finish that adds a unique sense of style in your kitchen.
This fridge is specifically built to hold wine bottles. It holds up to 30 bottles of average-sized wine bottles, which makes it a perfect purchase for the wine or champagne lovers.
It has a double-layered tempered glass door with a stainless steel frame. This creates perfect insulation to maintain the temperature inside this unit and prevents the glass door from fogging. The door is reversible and has a security lock for extra protection.
One convenient feature integrated into this unit is the temperature recall function which restores the previously set temperature in case of any power issues. This makes sure that your wine stays at the right temperature to avoid damage.
The unit has a large digital display control panel, which makes it easy to set and monitor the unit’s temperature between 40°F to 60°F.
The Kalamera undercounter refrigerator measures 14.9 x 33.9 x 22.4 inches, which is perfect for most average-sized under-counter space.
This fridge has an inbuilt carbon filter which keeps the refrigerator fresh by eliminating any bad odors. A soft blue LED light illuminates the refrigerator for easier visibility of your wine collection.
- Security lock
- Versatile built-in or freestanding installation
- A low noise compressor system
- Has a well-lit interior
- Temperature memory feature keeps the beverages at the preset temperature even after a power failure
- Removable wine racks
- Temperature may fluctuate
5. Allavino VSWR56-1SSRN – B016P5EZK4
The Allavino undercounter refrigerator features a storage capacity that can hold up to 56 wine bottles. This makes it perfect for wine lovers as it can hold an extensive collection of your favorite wine at controlled temperatures.
Its shelves are constructed using the new Allavino FlexCount technology which allows them to hold more wine bottle types. The shelves are slim yet sturdy to accommodate weight without sagging and to avoid wastage of precious space. They are supported by ball-bearing tracks to allow you to slide it open to arrange or access wine easily.
This refrigerator has an easy-to-operate control panel and a large digital display that allows you to monitor and adjust the unit’s internal temperature as required. The temperature can be changed between 41°F and 64°F, which is an excellent range to store either white or red wine collection.
This undercounter refrigerator has a front-venting design which allows installation into your cabinetry for a seamless look. It can also be used as a freestanding unit under your counter or anywhere else in the room. Its stylish black finish blends well with any home. This makes it really versatile.
It’s fitted with a fan cooling system which circulates air throughout the fridge for uniform cooling and reduction of initial cooldown time. This averts damage to your wine.
- Has an energy-efficient cooling system
- Unique and robust shelf design for versatility
- Can be installed into your kitchen cabinetry or used as a freestanding unit
- Internal LED lighting
- Produces soft vibrations when running
5. Sipmore Beverage Refrigerator and Cooler – B07LCF854Q
The flexibility, in terms of installation, of an undercounter refrigerator, plays a considerable role when selecting one for your kitchen. The Sipmore undercounter refrigerator is one of the versatile units which can be installed into your cabinetry or be used as freestanding units under your counter. This is because of the front venting system.
This unit is fitted with an advanced compressor system which keeps the vibrations low for quiet operation. This compressor has high heat preservation technology, which saves energy.
Integrated smart temperature control helps you change and monitor the unit’s temperature as per the beverage being cooled. This enables you to save on electricity. It also makes sure that the set temperature is maintained even after a power failure to keep your drinks safe. This is done through its intelligent temperature memory system.
This unit is capable of holding up to 154 average-sized cans in stand-up placement. The ample space between the shelves allows you to store different sizes of beverages.
It’s integrated with an auto light system which turns on immediately you open the refrigerator’s door. The LED light features a 180-degree overturn to illuminate the stored beverage for easier visibility and selection of your preferred drink.
This unit measures W23.4” x H34.5” x D23”.
- Inbuilt or freestanding installation
- LED lighting system
- Unique luxurious design
- Has a lock system which prevents unauthorized access
- Large storage capacity
- Low noise
- A fast cooling system
- The set temperature fluctuates at times
6. Danby DAR044A6DDB Contemporary Classic Compact All Refrigerator – B01DJFHC5I
The Danby undercounter refrigerator features an exclusive retro-inspired curved door design, an ergonomic chrome handle, and a unique and stylish chrome finish. This blends in well and adds a taste of style in your kitchen.
The interior design is fantastic. It has a signature black finish and lots of stylish storage compartments (3.3 cubic feet in total).
The storage is subdivided into sections capable of holding small and large bottles, and it has two and a half tempered glass shelves which make the storage more versatile. A white LED light increases the visibility in the refrigerator when you open the door.
The unit features a reversible door which allows you to switch out the hinges to open the door from the right or left side. This helps you to blend it easily in the available space. The door is fitted with a lock for extra security.
This unit has a mechanical thermostat which allows you to control the temperature within the refrigerator as required. It’s fitted with an energy-saving CanStor to keep your electricity bills low.
- Energy-saving refrigerator
- Has a scratch-resistant worktop
- Reversible door design to swing door from any side
- Versatile storage capabilities
- Auto LED lighting
- Automatic defrost for easier maintenance
- The unique exterior design blends nicely in the kitchen décor
- Can be a little loud at times
7. Avallon ABR241SGRH – B01923E15A
The Avallon ABR241SGRH is a beverage cooler with an easy-to-operate control panel and a large LED temperature display. The temperature of this undercounter refrigerator can be switched between 35°F to 50°F. It has pretty impressive low-temperature settings considering that it’s an expansive unit.
The unit is fitted with heavy-duty circulation fans which circulate air uniformly throughout the refrigerator. This prevents uneven cooling of drinks and formation of hot spots.
It has white and blue LED lights which you can alternate as per your most preferred choice. The LED lights are bright, and they increase the visibility of your beverages.
Avallon ABR241SGRH has a double-paned glass door which is filled with argon in between the panes to ensure maximum insulation to keep your drinks at the set temperature. The glass-door has a stainless steel frame and handle, for increased durability and strength. It has a true key lock to prevent unauthorized access to your beverages.
This refrigerator can be installed into your kitchen drawers for a seamless look and can also be used as a freestanding undercounter refrigerator. This makes it adaptable.
This unit measures H34.5” x W23.9” x D23.7”. This size fits easily into most cabinetry or the space underneath the counter.
It has a large storage capacity of up to 140 regular sized beer/ soda cans.
- Versatile installation
- Switchable white and blue LED lighting
- True Key door lock
- Has very low-temperature settings of 34 degrees Fahrenheit
- Large and easy-to-operate display
- The unit is a bit noisy when running, but that doesn’t affect its performance
8. SABA TUC27R 27″ Undercounter Refrigerator – B01FRNVLN4
TUCR27R features a stainless steel interior and exterior construction which makes it sturdy and durable for prolonged usage.
This undercounter refrigerator can fit and bend anywhere in your kitchen because of its average size. It measures 27″ W x 29.5″ D x 34″ H.
It has a self-closing door which only remains open when left at a 90° angle for your convenience. The door is fitted with a magnetic gasket to close it completely for complete insulation. This keeps your groceries and drinks inside this unit at the required temperature. The door is also well insulated to maintain and protect your food’s freshness.
This mini-fridge is integrated with heavy-duty casters, which makes its mobility easier even when loaded with drinks, groceries, and other items.
It has adjustable, PVC coated shelves which are sturdy and easy to maintain. The corners have a rounded design, which makes it easier and convenient to clean the interior section of the refrigerator.
This undercounter refrigerator runs at adjustable temperatures of between 33°F to 41°F. The temperature settings are adjustable via the electronic control system, which also controls the defrost frequency of this unit.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Has casters for easy mobility
- Well insulated to preserve your food’s freshness
- Strong and durable stainless steel construction
9. Whynter BR-128WS Stainless Steel Beverage Refrigerator – B00LUGCU7E
This undercoat refrigerator measures 18.5″ (L) x 17″ (W) x 33″ (H) and can accommodate up to 120 standard-sized 12 oz. soda/beer cans. It occupies minimal space but has lots of storage space for your beverages.
The refrigerator has a tempered glass door with a stainless steel frame. This allows you to spot your drink even from afar.
The glass door provides excellent insulation to keep all your drinks at the required temperature. To increase the visibility of drinks inside this unit, a soft LED light illuminates the beverages. The LED light has an on and off switch to save on electricity.
The refrigerator door is equipped with a true key lock that keeps your drinks safe by limiting access to authorized persons only. The door has a reversible swing direction which you can customize to meet your requirements.
It has a powerful compressor and fan-forced air-circulation system which distributes air uniformly throughout this undercounter refrigerator. This ensures that all your drinks cool at the same temperature.
A mechanical temperature control system makes it easier to adjust the temperatures between 30°F to 60°F.
- An effective air circulation system
- The LED light can be switched off to minimize power usage
- Runs quietly
- Has a reversible door
- Removable shelves enable you to store larger bottles
- The glass has condensation issues
10. NewAir Beverage Cooler and Refrigerator – B0083H1INK
The NewAir undercounter refrigerator is a perfect fridge to store your favorite drinks underneath your counter or any other place without occupying much space. It can comfortably hold up to 126 of standard beer/soda cans, and it only measures 18.25″ (W) x 19″ (D) x 33.13″ (H).
This unit’s racks are of a metallic chrome construction to increase durability and strength. The racks can be removed for the unit to hold larger bottles.
This NewAir undercounter refrigerator features a sleek stainless steel design with a stylish black finish that complements any existing home décor. The stainless steel construction makes this unit durable and sturdy for long-term prolonged use.
The interior of this unit is fitted with a manual LED light that provides enough light to locate any of your favorite beverages quickly.
With seven preset thermostat settings, you can switch the temperatures to your preferred settings. The lowest temperature setting is 34°F, and the highest is 64°F.
It has a quiet but powerful compressor which works with a strong air-circulation system to make sure all the drinks chill at the same temperature.
- Stylish black finish blends well with home décor
- Energy efficient
- Has large LED control panel and internal LED lighting
- Has very low-temperature settings of 34°F
- Makes loud rattling noises occasionally
Things to Consider When Purchasing an Undercounter Refrigerator
- Compressor location
The location of the compressor’s intake and outtake determines where and how you get to install your undercounter refrigerator. Make sure the compressor location doesn’t compromise your installation location. A compressor intake and exhaust can be:
- On either the left or right side of the unit – if it’s on the left side, for example, you can’t place its left side against the wall.
- Front-venting design – this means that the intake and exhaust are located on the front part and you can place the unit on any side without compromise. These units can be integrated into your cabinetry.
- Doors Vs. drawers
Undercounter refrigerators are available in either door or drawer design. The door models have more overall space compared to drawer models. However, the drawer models are more convenient compared to the door models.
The door based undercounter refrigerators can be steel or glass. Glass doors are beautiful as they provide an excellent display of your drinks. However, the steel door models are more energy efficient because they have better insulation compared to glass door models.
Choose the model that best meets all your set requirements.
- Cooldown Time
The cooldown time determines how fast your drinks or food will take to reach your set temperature. It’s better to purchase an undercounter refrigerator with rapid cooldown time to make sure that your beverages or stored food cool down fast.
The refrigerators with the best cooldown time are the ones with robust air circulation systems (Forced air cooling).
The height of the undercounter refrigerator you purchase should be able to fit nicely below your counter or into the selected section of your cabinetry. Some come with adjustable wheels to increase or decrease the height accordingly. Most units are usually between 32 – 36 inches in height.
- Efficiency and operational Cost
Purchase an undercounter unit that runs efficiently while using the least energy possible. This minimizes the overall operational cost. Undercounter refrigerators that have good insulation systems and energy-saving features that don’t compromise performance are the best to acquire.
How to Use an Undercounter Refrigerator?
An undercounter refrigeration unit can be used in several ways, depending on the model that you purchase. The primary use of an undercover unit is to minimize congestion in your standard refrigerator or to create extra space for specific items such as beer, wine, food, or soda. Here are a few ways to utilize an undercounter refrigeration unit:
- You can store beverages, including soda, wine, beer, and other drinks. Such units usually have several racks which can be adjusted according to the height of the beverages you’re storing.
- You can acquire a unit capable of accommodating wine, beverages, or food. This can have one or several shelves that can be configured to accommodate the item you want to store.
- Undercounter refrigerators, especially the drawer models, can be used to organize loose or bulky items.
- Another way to use an undercounter refrigerator is to create efficiency. For example, it can be installed outside to hold beverages and food, especially if you hold parties, or you just love spending time in the outdoors. They can also be installed in your bedroom for easier access to your favorite beverages.
How to Clean a Refrigerator after Use/ Step by Step Guide?
It is essential to clean your fridge every once in a while. Keeping your fridge clean and hygienic eliminates any chances of food poisoning. Here’s a quick guide on how to clean your fridge the right way:
- Remove all the food and beverages from the refrigerator. This makes the cleaning process easier and eliminates any chances of cross-contamination.
- Remove all the removable parts such as racks and drawers and soak them in a basin full of warm water and regular soap. You can wash, rinse, and dry these parts after cleaning the rest of the fridge.
- Clean every part of your refrigerator using a microfiber cloth soaked in dishwashing soap and warm water, or using commercial wipes. Always use a high-quality cloth or sponge to avoid leaving specks in your fridge.
- For the stubborn stains, make a concentrated solution containing baking soda and water and apply the paste on the stains. Leave the paste for about an hour and then wipe it out using something damp.
Never use disinfectants or strong kitchen cleaning products to clean your fridge. These products contain strong and harmful chemicals that can make people ill. Opt for safer products, including natural cleaners, to clean your refrigerator.
NOTE: Always clean out any spills to avoid odor or stains. Also, make sure to throw out any expired food.
How does an undercounter refrigerator work?
An undercounter refrigerator works just like a standard refrigerator. The cold temperature preserves the food or beverages in the refrigerator by slowing down bacteria growth. Here’s how your undercounter unit generates and maintains the cold air that cools and preserves your commodities:
- The compressor squeezes the refrigerant gas/vapor (tetrafluoroethane), increasing its temperature and pressure. This hot gas is then pushed into the condenser coils found on the sides or front of your undercounter refrigerator.
- In the condenser coils, the hot air gas meets the cooler temperatures of the immediate surrounding (kitchen) and turns into a liquid.
- The refrigerant (in liquid form and still under high pressure) passes through the expansion valve as it cools down and gets into the evaporator valve inside the fridge.
- The liquid refrigerant turns back into gas due to high temperature.
- The gas flows back into the compressor, and the cycle continues.
*The compressor is the main component of any refrigerator. It’s powered by a motor to keep the fridge running at the required temperatures.
*An undercounter refrigerator thermostat maintains the set temperature by turning the compressor on and off.
Q1). Is undercounter refrigerator better?
An Undercounter refrigerator works in the same manner as a regular refrigerator. It’s better in that it utilizes minimal space, and it can be integrated into your kitchen’s cabinets. It creates a seamless and luxury look in your kitchen.
Q2). Why is undercounter refrigerator so expensive?
The main reason why undercounter refrigerators are expensive is because of their unique designs. For example, a front-vented undercounter refrigerator has the condensation coil at the front, unlike the traditional fridge which has the condenser coils located at the back. Another reason why they tend to be expensive is the fact that some can be customized into your cabinetry to create a seamless, high-end look in your kitchen.
Q3). How healthy are undercounter refrigerator?
Undercounter refrigerators are very safe and healthy. All they require is regular cleaning and maintenance to remain hygienic for continued use.
Q4). How long are undercounter refrigerators good for?
The timespan of any undercounter refrigeration is dependent on several factors. These include:
- The quality of the refrigerator in terms of the construction and all its components
- Maintenance – Regular maintenance of your undercounter unit increases its durability
- Correct installation – For example, side vented undercounter units should not be placed against the wall on the vented side